Parenting & Custody

The who, what, when, where, and why of legal parenting and custody agreements are a tricky business, and we stick up for our clients, making sure your voice is heard and your rights are defended.

Parenting And Custody Attorneys Who Will Fight For Your Family

Parenting and custody agreements can be complicated, with a lot of factors playing into how each agreement looks. Vance Law, PLLC can help you develop parenting and custody agreements, walking you through the whole process from start to finish. Our experience in family law means we don’t miss details, so you can rest assured that every possible angle or need of your parenting or custody agreement will be covered. We are here for you no matter what your parenting or custody agreement process looks like, to represent you and make sure that you and your children are treated fairly.

Child Custody for Unmarried Persons and Same Sex Couples 

Child custody is one of the most sensitive areas of law. When legal issues arise regarding children, it can be an emotionally exhausting process for the parent and a scary one for the children involved. Our staff has extensive experience in all areas of child custody, whether legal custody, joint custody, physical custody or sole custody.

Ms. Vance has specific experience in parental custody, grandparent custody, and guardianship.We are well versed in Tennessee law regarding child custody and will make sure that your case regarding your child is well represented. 

What We Do as Your Parenting & Custody Attorneys

  • Initial consultation to understand your unique situation and parenting & custody goals.
  • Evaluate your chances of obtaining their desired custody arrangement based on your specific circumstances.
  • Assist in drafting a comprehensive parenting agreement or custody agreement that addresses all aspects of child custody and visitation.
  • Advocate for the child(ren)'s best interests throughout the process, ensuring that your and their needs are prioritized.
  • Help facilitate mediation sessions between the parents, encouraging cooperative negotiations when possible.
  • Represent your interests during negotiations with the other parent or their attorney.
  • Prepare and file all necessary legal documents with the appropriate court.
  • If necessary, provide legal representation in court proceedings to advocate for your desired parenting & custody arrangement.
  • Assist with modifications to the parenting agreement if circumstances change and help enforce the agreement or court order if the other parent fails to comply.

Ask An Attorney About:
Parenting and Custody

What is a parenting agreement, and what is a custody agreement?

A parenting agreement lays out in a legally binding document how parents will take care of their children. Whether decisions have to be shared or can be made by one parent or the other, when it comes to things like medical care or education are included, as well as scheduling for visitation, are included.

A custody agreement involves physical and legal custody. Physical custody means where a child or children live. Legal custody means who makes decisions for them. Custody agreements will sort out what works best for both parents and for the children, either through an out of court agreement, or through mediation or a trial.

Can parents create their own parenting or custody agreement, or is court involvement necessary?

Parents can create their own parenting and custody agreements, but they must be submitted to the court for approval. As long as the agreements are within the best interests of the child(ren), a settlement outside of trial is a great way to set up parenting and custody agreements. 

What happens if parents cannot agree on a parenting or custody agreement?

If a parenting plan and custody agreement can’t be agreed upon, it will be up to the court to determine what will work best for the child. We will help you navigate the court system and gather evidence to show the court that will support your claims and rights when it comes to a parenting agreement or custody agreement. 

What happens if one parent wants to relocate with the child?

Tennessee law states that if a custodial parent wants to move less than 50 miles away from the other parent, they can without approval. Otherwise, they’d need to seek court approval for the move.

What about child support?

A child support determination will be reached at the same time as a parenting or custody arrangement is entered, to balance the standard of living in each parents home.  We can help with determining fair child support amounts based on Tennessee law, as well as helping you enforce child support orders if necessary. 

What should I do if I believe the other parent is not complying with the parenting agreement or court order?

Contact us, and document the instances where non-compliance is happening. We will help you with the next steps for ensuring your settled parenting agreement is enforced.